Sunday, December 28, 2008

Coyote Sighting in Los Alamitos - 10:30am

Everyone who knows me well knows that I am an avid outdoorsman, nature photographer and lover of animals. I encounter animals all of the time in the forest or at El Dorado Park. Today was my first experience with a southern Californian coyote.

Kymberli and I got up this morning intent on going to the park to walk and get some exercise. I drove down the street and Kymberli exclaimed, "Aw, a dog is in the street down there by itself." I look and without hesitation we both blurt out, "That looks like a coyote!" It was down near the Los Alamitos Animal Hospital and it was 10:30 in the morning. Bright sunshine and it was using the sidewalk. I drove right up near it and started hollering at it. It gave me one look and was not at all worried about me. It kept walking ahead.

I quicly turned the car around and got my phone out. Kymberli called the Los Al Police and they said they couldn't do anything because the animals live there. I understand that they do, but they could be a bit more helpful. I feel they could have asked for more information or sent someone to check it out. People keep bitching and complaining at the City Council meetings and in the papers about coyotes attacking their pets, killing cats and small dogs and not being able to do anything about it. Well, they should do something! Anyway, we follow it down the road. I drive right next to it and all the while (And I am sure the Baxters will appreciate this) I am cursing myself out for not bringing my camera. This would be THE prime op. for a coyote photo and it's a block from our apartment! So, I whipped out the phone and got this quick shot. It's nothing spectacular, but you can see the coyote. He was well fed, healthy and not at all afraid of humans.



I drove down the road to tell a young couple, who had their little boy walking on the sidewalk, that there was a coyote right up the street. They looked, pointed and asked me if that was him. I said yes and they turned right around and high tailed it to their vehicle. I cannot blame them! With a baby on the way, I would be VERY cautious. After I made a U-turn, the dog dissappeared. I went bacvk to our apt. to see if our cat was ok. She was and we waited for a few minutes to see if the coyote would reappear. He did not, but I am still cautious. I know I will be carrying my pepper spray anytime we go on a walk and I recommend others do, too.

We both a little rattled about seeing the animal. I have seen them in the wild and had them come very close when i was in the forest, but to have one in your neighborhood and unafraid... that is frightening. Be on your guard Los Alamitos.

3 comments:

kymberli q. said...

"We can't do anything about it unless they are injured or attacking something. They LIVE in the community.", says the Los Al Police Dept. That cracked me up! :) Scary!!!!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

wow!!!! how awesome and scary at the same time!! during broad daylight too! we've seen coyotes in our neighborhood, but usually late at night when we walk our doggies. usually we see fluffs of hair and "stuff" around the parks by our house. sadly their dinner. we always hope it wasn't someone's pet :( totally bummed you didn't have a camera!!! maybe posting a picture in your neighborhood on street signs with a little warning for kids and peoples pets. i can't imagine a little kid with their pet encountering the coyote. rain walks our dogs all the time and that would freak me out.
hope you and kymberli have a safe, blessed and successful 09'!!
can't wait for riley!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with David. A few warnings posted would not hurt. You should contact your local paper, maybe they would put out a warning and maybe use your photo as proof as to how dangerous it couyld be for a small child or animal.
Mom