Monday, July 28, 2008

El Dorado Nature Center, Long Beach

One of my favorite things to do with my wife is to walk around the El Dorado Nature Center trails. When I first came out to California a couple years ago, I was super homesick. It got so bad that I contemplated moving back. It was rough on both of us. I was born and raised in the country with lots of green and wildlife all around. You don't get that so much here. She brought me to the nature center to try and help ease my mind and make life more enjoyable. She's good! It really helped and now it's one of my favorite places to go. I can get 'lost' in there. It's really a wonderful place to see animals, be away from traffic and relax.

We walked the nature center trails on Sunday morning. Some of the trails were closed because of two pairs of Coopers Hawks that were nesting. I really wanted to get some photos of them, but getting dive bombed by a predatory bird... ahhh, no. It was very hot and I felt so bad for Kymberli. Being 4 months pregnant, walking in the heat and dealing with an overzealous nature-loving husband can take its toll. Yet, she was pretty patient. We both got some great shots and I am sure she'll post some in the next few days. Here are some of mine. Of course there is a story with each, but I'll tell them quickly.

This rabbit stayed put for quite some time (3 minutes or so) and was super alert.




I have to say that I love this image. Incredibly sharp and I love Great Blue Herons. They are just so strong looking and they remind me of home.




A young couple stopped me and told me I HAD to take a picture of this beehive. This photo doesn't even do it justice. It was about 3 feet tall and there were hundreds of bees. they were keeping to themselves, too. I think bees are cool looking and an amazing creature, but we just don't get along. I was going to sneak in a bit closer and decided I didn't want to get stung.


3 comments:

Roody said...

I wish my camera took pictures as sharp as your camera does. As always, nice lookin' stuff there Mr. Quackenbush.

kymberli q. said...

Wow, babe! That lens may be expensive, but it might be worth it! I LOVE the rabbit, butterfly and Heron images, although they are all great!

ZMcCarthy said...

Wonderful Images!