Monday, January 21, 2008

First Trip To The San Diego Zoo

Another year older and a bit wiser. To celebrate my birthday, Kymberli and I went to the San Diego Zoo. What a great place. It always saddens me to see an animal caged, but I also try to think of the good it does for the species and I also think 'Why are they here?'.

I have decided not to bore you with all of the details, but would rather show you a few images from our outing. These are some of my favorites. The main thing I learned from this trip is that I need some fast lenses. My f/4 18-200mm VR lens was great for outside shots, but inside the viewing areas I needed a f/2.8 or even a f/1.8. Live and learn because that is what makes us better photographers.

Tomorrow I will post my images from Sea World!






3 comments:

kymberli q. said...

Wow! Sooooo many great shots! I love them all!!

I know what you mean about the zoo. I try to look at it this way - they are safe and cared for here (even though some would still argue with me about they shouldn't even be there even if they are 'safe' - that's not the natural process, but whatever...) and it gives adults and children a chance to learn more about the species and maybe be a bit more informed in life.

Not to mention that I bet some of the people that hate they are caged are some of the people that would buy a pet from a breeder and not adopt from a shelter. But I digress...

Anyway, cool photos, babe. Happy Birthday again. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Your zoo photos sure came out a lot better than the ones I took when Jodi and I went two summers ago.

Though I don't think there's any comparison between the San Diego Zoo and the Seneca Park Zoo.

Jim, "Homer" said...

Very nice shots Al, it's been a long time since I went to the San Diego. I'll have to make a trip there soon.