Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What I Did On My Christmas Vacation - Episode Part Deux

*Begin Dolby Intro Music*

Vacation is a word that in the past few years I have come to love. Before my wife I hardly took vacations. I took a few with my brother that were great and even some fun road trips, but never a vacation just for the relaxing side of it. San Francisco was relaxing and I am definitely going to do it again and this time we will take more time to explore.

We took a double decker bus tour of the city because we wanted to learn more, but also just relax. Well, the first day it was like 70 degrees and awesome. Day two brought out much cooler temps and even my tubbyness was cold! I was sweating badly the first day because I was trying to be a boy scout and making sure I was prepared. I wore a nice warm jacket and a hat. Overkill. Da 2 I decided to go for the fleece vest and a hat. Not enough, but I digress. During the tour we saw many of the same landmarks and beautiful structures you see in all of the S.F. photographs. Here is one of a cathedral (St. Michaels, perhaps?) that I think is beautiful.



We decided to get off at Fisherman's Wharf because I love seafood and we wanted to grab a nice dinner. We had to stop and get coffee and hot chocolate because it was so chilly. Great little place called Boudin's had good coffee, but the best part was people watching and warming up. We shot across the street to a chocolate shop and I could quite possibly get lost in there. Well, maybe camp out for a few weeks. Such good chocolate!

We went over to Pier 39 and, in case you haven't heard, this is where the sea lions have taken over the floating docks. It's cool to watch and I did get some photos, but i wasn't as happy with the individual sea lions. i did get this image that i planned out and was psyched when it looked this way on screen. I only sharpened the image. There is no other manipulation to the shot.



A few steps from my position I was able to capture the typical Alcatraz shot. I have seen this shot many times. Mainly, my friend Sherif and fellow blogger Thomas Hawk. I like the shot just because I took it, but it isn't anything award worthy.



We turned the corner and on our way to dinner we spotted this street performer doing her thing. She was very entertaining with her commentary and mannerisms. I captured a few photos, but they didn't do her show justice. This was of her finale. She was juggling fire while balancing on top of two guys who were holding her up. Pretty talented if you ask me.



The best part of the day is something I can only share through words. I took the most amazing photograph that will win awards this year. My wife took the same one. This photo means something very special to me. The reason I cannot share it graphically is because I took the snapshot in my mind. We sat down to dinner at Pier 39 Market and we were blessed with one of the most amazing sunsets I have ever experienced. We had the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance, the sun setting behind it and the city, the sea lions down to our right and Alcatraz off in the distance to our right. It was peaceful, romantic, serene and beautiful. I am so happy I got to share that moment with my wife. No one can ever copy that moment and resell it, print it or imagine it quite the way we did. I can't wait to see what Christmas Brings for us next year.

Want to go wine tasting? Tomorrow I will post some photos of Napa Valley! Ah, Sangiovese!!

1 comment:

cassandra-m said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your comment put a BIG smile on my face for the new year! I had to return the favor and must say your last paragraph put a lump in my throat. wow. I could actually see you & your wife sitting there, the way you described everything around you...I thought, how special that only you & her have that perfect image in your head of the sunset and that moment. Many blessings to you for 2008! will keep in touch from savannah, ga ;)